Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Path


THE PATH
During one of our conversations this past Thursday I remarked to one of you about how although the group has a relatively small number of health issues we are discussing, there is great diversity among  the participants with regard to severity of disease, understanding of the nature of their problem, and even commitment to actively engage the issues at hand.  This realization initially took me back a bit, wondering how to best fit a program like this to be of some benefit to each member of the group.  Then I remembered what one of my many previous golf teachers said as he compared my game to his.  He said we at different places along the same path of trying to improve.  (I must have taken a detour to the hooking the ball into the woods part of the path, but that’s for another day.)  That idea struck me as a way to visualize us as a group.  Think about our members walking along a common road toward living healthier lives.  Picture each of us moving along at our own pace, sometimes stumbling, sometimes sprinting toward the goals we have set for ourselves.  Also picture how we can lend a hand to those on the road with us who have had a misstep or who may have even lost their way. 
This experience will no doubt be enhanced by the communal effort put forth by its members.  I know we all lead busy lives and that time is indeed short enough as it is, but I truly believe that  sharing helpful experiences or information with those who need it will also enhance the experience of the giver.  Give it a try.
Have a good week.  Stay on the path, being careful to avoid the Krispy Kreme detour.
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment